Is Threads a fediverse threat?
Federating Threads with the entire fediverse risks changing Mastodon and all other ActivityPub softwares forever. The debate is dividing the people already part of the decentralized social network. A few questions are arising in my mind:
- Why should people open a new account and spend time understanding how Mastodon and its siblings work when they can feel comfortable under the Meta umbrella?
- Why does Threads not adopt full ActivityPub standards?
- Will Threads' moderation influence other instances?
- What kind of changes will the federation with Threads bring to the fediverse?
- Is this a mortal embrace for ActivityPub?
- Will independent instances become less relevant?
Only time will tell...